The purpose of the VTFMA is to encourage and establish successful farmers markets in Vermont that enhance direct marketing opportunities for market vendors while building direct connections between vendors and local consumers. NOFA-VT serves as the staff and fiscal agent of the VTFMA.
Benefits of membership in the VTFMA:
- Statewide promotion of farmers’ markets
- Networking opportunities among farmers’ markets
- A collective voice for Vermont farmers’ markets
Applications required annually in January.
VTFMA member markets must meet the membership criteria.
Membership criteria for defining a farmers market in Vermont:
- Two or more producers of Vermont agricultural products according to 11V.S.A.991 (Vermont State Statute)
- Market has formal process for participation in the market
- Market meets for five or more regularly scheduled times
Market participates in submission of annual survey (including annual gross sales, vendor mix, etc.)
- Market has a process for communicating vendor responsibility to comply with all applicable health and safety standards
- Cultivates an awareness of market-wide best practices
- Annual dues paid (see membership fees below).
- All fee paying vendors of the market will sell products that are locally produced (as defined by the Vermont Statue)
• Local products can be purchased for resale at a farmers market; the VTFMA recommends working towards 100% producer only markets as a best practice. (Written best practices are currently in development.)
• The Vermont Agency of Agriculture are the state regulators and enforcers and farmers markets work in partnership with the state.
Adopted by the VTFMA Board, March 23, 2011
Membership Categories and Fees
1. Market Member: a Market Member is defined as any market that meets the membership criteria and pays the annual membership dues. Membership fees are on a sliding scale from $50-$150, with the exception that the fee for new, start-up markets will be waived for their first membership year. We ask markets to pay as they are able, with general guidelines as follows: small markets pay $50, medium markets pay $100 and large markets pay $150. While we understand that this may be out of the reach of some markets, please decide what your market can afford within the sliding scale as we want the VTMFA to be accessible to all. At this time all benefits are available at all levels.
2. Sponsoring Member: a Sponsoring Member is a person or organization other than a farmers market that pays annual dues and supports the purpose of the VTFMA. The Sponsoring Member may not be a voting member of the VTFMA or a member of the board. Sponsoring memberships are $25 a year.